Good John gets hitched

Well, it was about that time.. I thought all my friends were married, but no, one still remains.  Actually a couple do-- now that I think of it.  Anyway, in short- I got to go and get full off of free food and dessert.  



Although it was brief, Rach and I took the day off, dropped the kids at a professional sitter, and headed off to the Lords house in SLC.  It was a ton of fun.  There is nothing like feeling like kids again, when you can go downtown to a bustling city with your sweetheart, be running late, and have fun doing it.  Parking-- nuff said. Bleh.

Anyway while we made it just in time (about 5 min before JD & his newly wed bride Jen walked in) and it was a great sealing.

Ok, so hear is my rant, soapbox, or whatever you want to call it --  While we were going into, and out of the temple, there were two... for the lack of a better term, "panhandlers" asking for "spare change?" or, in a quivering almost to the brink of tears voice "please, anything you can spare... PLEASE..."

I caught myself brushing them both off, in my normal manner when I remembered where I was going.  Yeeeah, like a ton of bricks people.  Then the thought came, WWJD?  Also remember, the only cash I had on me was a $10 and a $20.  As I turned around, Rachel had already stopped and was opening her purse (of course).

Heres the thing... I knew it was a total scam, to play a manipulative trick on faithful saints as they are going to serve in the Lords house.  I mean, what better place to better you chance of getting some free loot!  RIGHT?!

So here's my question:  What would YOU have done?  

I felt bad brushing them off, but after we (Rach) gave BOTH of them a little change, I felt so much better.  Not because I knew that they would use the spare change to pay for anything useful, but almost like a "washing of my (Rachel's) hands" of the situation... erring on the right side instead of the left.  Of course, it's probably going to still count against me in heaven since I was kind of reluctant in helping them out.  Plus not to mention that I have just publicized the "good deed" so now there is certainly no reward!  Arrgh!  I can't win for losing!

HOWEVER:  On the way out of the underground parking garage, we had forgotten to get our parking validated, and thus needed a token or $10 to get out.  We were already so far from the temple, and really needed to get back to our kids.  As I tried to swipe the ticket to see what the damage was, a kind older woman in the car behind us rolled down her window and asked: "Do you need a token?" -- wow.

I think the savior saw this one coming.

"But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you."  Matt.5:44

3 comments:

Nielsen Family said...

What a good post! I have the hardest time with that too! But that scripture sums it up. We are also told that our prayers are in vain if we aren't doing all we can to help out those we are praying for. So we should be praying for those that use us as well as doing all we can to be helping them out. That is the Lords way which sounds contrary to natural man in each of us. Thank you for allowing me to think about what I would have done. Love you guys!

The Tuck Family said...

Well slap my wrist...I've been there! I know I need to be a better steward of the blessings the Lord has given me....and let Him be the Judge.

Seriously awesome story, to bad there's no reward for you now that you boasted about your good deeds..... ;D

Tiffani Warner said...

You always have such great uplifting stories!! I don't think i would have paid them but i would have felt bad. i usually don't have any $ at the temple.
**hey i need you to e mail me Bowen's blessing pics and thanks for the script. Luv ya